active time: 5 minutes
total time: 50 minutes (plus overnight soak)
These tasty (no-allergy!) nut alternatives are great to have out around the holidays. Give them to the kids in rolled-up parchment-paper cones (as shown).
* 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons raw (or regular granulated) sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak the beans overnight in cool water. Drain and pat them dry with paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. In a bowl, toss the beans with the vegetable oil and sugar.
4. Spread them in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Roast them in the oven until crunchy and no longer soft in the centers, about 45 minutes. (Stir them a few times to prevent burning.)
5. Immediately toss the beans in a bowl with the cinnamon and salt. Cool and serve, or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Tip: For a savory snack, try tossing the beans with salt, paprika, and freshly ground pepper instead.